11 January 2012

Words on Wednesday: Noisy birds

And we're back!  This week, I've selected a Word on Wednesday that has been popping around my head for the last few days:

cacophony, noun

        1.harsh or discordant sound: DISSONANCE
        2. harshness in the sound of words or phrases

This week's definition comes from my tenth edition Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary.

I'm not entirely sure why this word has been in my head lately, but I do have to give it credit for sounding like its meaning.  The hard /k/ sounds that start out this word immediately grind the ears, just like discordant sounds or noises would.  It reminds me a little of a crow - caKAW!  Honestly, who likes crows?

Source: Ebird.org
Continuing on this crow train, it always amazes me how intelligent crows and their cousins, ravens, are.  And then I think they're going to rise up in some crazy Hitchcock-to-real-life bird revolution.  And then I don't go outdoors for a few days.



Check out the differences between crows and ravens at Ebird.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment