08 January 2012

Shark Bait - Oo Ha Ha

I have a few fears, okay, maybe many fears, but one of my biggest is open water and sharks eating me.  I think they are beautiful, powerful creatures, and love to catch a shark show on Discovery (Oh, hey, Shark Week), but I am terrified of one taking a bite out of me when I am in the ocean.

I remember watching Jaws about 600 times when I was younger and thinking to myself, "Oh, Hell no.  Every shark is a giant killer that just wants to rip me from my happy, yellow raft and eat my dog."  Thanks, Mom and Dad, for letting your impressionable child watch that pants-wettingly scary movie over and over and over.

Things I wish I had known when I was 10...
Anyone seen the clip from Planet Earth where that Great White flies about 40 feet out of the water, snatching an innocent seal in his enormous jaws?  No?  Well, here ya go:


Pee your pants a little bit?  Yeah, so did I.  Moving on....

Now that you know this fear of mine, I must admit my quiet obsession with shark teeth.  I bought myself a shark tooth necklace at the Baltimore Aquarium 4 years ago and wear it when the mood for extra shark power strikes.  This past weekend, my husband and I went to the GULFARIUM where I made a point of buying a shark tooth woven into a pretty blue bracelet.  I even made the two very hungry Marines wait an extra 5 minutes for me to get this bracelet.  If you know anything about hungry Marines, then you know I was putting my life at risk.

I totally wanted to dolphin-nap this big guy.
Unfortunately, my excitement to hug maul my husband for no reason yesterday afternoon led to my precious shark tooth snapping in half.  I don't know my own strength...and I didn't know I could weep so strongly over an inanimate object.  Kidding...sort of.

Now that my bracelet is gone, I've gone on a hunt to find shark tooth jewelry that might last more than 18 hours.  Check out some of my favorites:

Source: Etsy
This bracelet would be a much sturdier and cooler replacement for the one at the bottom of my trash can.

Source: Sears
There are tons of simple pendant shark tooth necklaces out there, ranging from real teeth to metal copies.  This sterling silver pendant was one of my favorites.

Source: UsTrendy
I'm definitely not hip enough to wear this bolo style necklace, but that doesn't mean I can't like it.

What are your thoughts on shark teeth?  Does wearing one make you feel imbued with the power of the great shark?  Or would you rather keep the dangerous beasts as far from you as possible?

1 comment:

  1. I am the Great White Shark. And don't blame me for letting you watch scary movies.

    ReplyDelete