06 February 2012

Baby Shower: DIY Sugar Scrub

The second installment in the baby shower series is the Thank You gift everyone at the party received for coming: Sugar Scrubs!



I knew when I decided on the bathtime theme that I wanted to give party favors that were a DIY bath product.  A sugar scrub seemed the easiest and least expensive.  Boom.  I was sold.



You'll need:

granulated sugar
raw sugar (turbinado sugar)
oil (mineral or vegetable oil)
essential oil
airtight container

1.  Mix together sugars in 1:1 ratio.  Because I was making a big batch for party favors, I mix 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1 1/2 cup raw sugar.

At this point, all I really wanted to do was eat the sugar...It's so pretty!  And tasty!

2.  Pour oil into the sugar mixture.  I used olive oil because it was the only thing in the house and I was way too lazy to run out for the third time that day.  Add oil to make the mixture the consistency you want.  I poured a little bit of oil at a time and let it sink through the sugar.  Mix the oil and sugar together.  Add more oil as you desire.  If you add too much oil, just add more sugar in a 1:1 ratio.

Ohhh, pretty.
I sat and watched the oil sink in for a solid minute.  It was kind of mesmerizing.
3.  Add a few drops of your chosen essential oil.  I separated my mixture into two bowls to create two different  batches of scrub.  I had vanilla, per the mom-to-be's request, and "Pillow Potion", a lavender and hops blend.



4.  Spoon sugar scrub into your container.


I made the "Thank You"s with a cheap stamp and ink pad I bought at Hobby Lobby.  I stamped onto a sheet of pink card stock, cut around each stamp, and punched a hole in the top.  The little containers are from Hobby Lobby, as well.  I thought they were seriously cute and perfect for this project!

Forgive the bad lighting.  I did this one night while watching White Collar.

I would definitely recommend using this on your legs before you shave for an extra smooth shave.  Because of the large granules, I would not use this on my face.  Ouch!

9 comments:

  1. Holy moly... or holy "MO"ly! Hahaha! You are so crafty. I'm flying you in when my best friend gets preggo to help me plan a masterful baby shower. We need to meet, I think we could have some seriously awesome crafting sessions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa! I'm in. I LOVED planning this shower. There were so many things I wanted to do for themes and decorations. I need more pregnant friends so I can use up all the ideas I compiled

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am stealing your sugar scrub idea. I love it, so quick and original for a shower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! It was so easy to make and you can personalize it with any essential oil you like. Thanks for visiting my site!

      Delete
    2. I may use your idea for both a baby shower and a wedding shower I'm helping with. Where did you find those jars? I love them.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2/6/13 03:46

    Wonderful blοg! I found it whіle sеaгching on Yahoo Newѕ.
    Do yоu haѵe any tips οn how to gеt lіstеd in Yahοo
    News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Many thanks

    my page www.negareshargh.ir

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome favor gift for the guests! However, I expecting 50 that rsvp'd. I want this to be special but do I make 50 jars??? HELP or just like a rough 35.
    You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous15/5/14 22:07

    Hey! What a great tutorial.. may I ask how much the jars cost? I'm looking to make ~20 total favors for an event, but can see the costs getting high just with the pretty jars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazon or baby food jars

    ReplyDelete