12 October 2011

Red Reveal: Chalkboard Frame!

Here it is.  The moment you've all been waiting for.  The red reveal!

I have been seeing a ton of great chalkboard revamps and creations on the blog-o-sphere lately.
Like this crib into a chalkboard easel revamp from The Red Kitchen

And this adorable chalkboard plaque from My So Called Green Life


After seeing these beauties, I decided to give it a shot.  Here's my DIY Chalkboard Frame:
Please note that I am currently the Dominos champion.
We created this beauty for our (soon-to-be) games area.  It was extremely easy!

Here's what we used:
plywood
trim
chalkboard spray paint
spray paint
finishing nails & screw eyes (for hanging)
The most expensive item was the chalkboard paint for $8.  The whole project cost around 20 dollars.

I tasked my husband with cutting the plywood and trim to size for me.  We wanted it to be a bit large since we play a lot of games, so ours is 17"x24".  You can make one larger or smaller depending on your preferences.

I then went to spray paint town.

Population: Cool

I first gave everything 2 light coats of primer.  Then I gave the trim 2 light coats of red paint (Valspar Classic Red) and the plywood got 3 light coats of chalkboard paint (Rustoleum).

After a 24 hour drying period, the helpful husband nailed in some finishing nails, twisted the screw eyes in the back, and we hung her up.  We (foolishly) did not sand the plywood enough, so the chalk dust collects in a few little nooks.  If you do attempt this, make sure you sand really well (and leave a comment with your project)!

Sadly, the games area is pretty empty (the space below the frame used to house my pile of waiting-to-be donated clothes).  I am currently scouring Craigslist and will be hitting up garage sales this weekend to hunt down a small bookcase to fill the corner.  Get excited!

Sad, empty corner.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on our chalkboard frame, so please leave a comment!

1 comment:

  1. why, despite Tyson's obvious assistance, must you insist upon pointing out you stingy dominoes lead?

    ReplyDelete